After a few tryouts in the field and for aesthetics I’ve decided that the zip on the cape and cowl was not exactly what I had pictured in my mind. Not to mention it was becoming pretty difficult to undo and re-zip.
On closer inspection of the material I realised that the four way stretch could probably allow the cape with the attached cowl to be pulled over my head. So after making up a few small test pieces of just a neck opening I decided to take the plunge and take out the zip on the front of the neck and sew straight up the front, thus properly creating a cape with a fully attached cowl that I could, well … just pull over my head!
The effect is pretty realistic to how I remember BATMAN used to be drawn in the early 80’s of the comics. Where as now, the cowl is depicted more or less as a separate helmet.
Some of the lines are a bit rough and I still haven’t completely attached the white eyes on the cowl. This is purely because I can’t make my mind up just yet whether to permanently attach the white netting, or as I have been for now, wearing a piece of netting like an under mask then pulling the cowl over the top. Doing this allows me to remove the white eyes whenever I need.
- Tags: costume